"You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone."

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

One Year Anniversary

“I will show you a love potion without drug or herb, or any witch's spell; if you wish to be loved, love” ~ Hecato

Hecato was a Stoic philosopher from around 100 BC. I love this quote.

This is the one year anniversary of Mike and I. I’m not sure how grammatically accurate that last sentence is, but that’s how I would describe it. I’ve never actually lasted a full year with someone. I either broke up with the same person every six months or so, or we only lasted around three months, so to date someone a full year is completely beyond anything I’ve ever done. It blows my mind that I’m allowed to be happy for so long or that it could continue.

So, a recap. Memories that make me smile and remember….

• Our first kiss. Both of them. Which happened to be at church. “Magical”, as made fun of by both of us. Me being very impatient. “Can I kiss you?”
• The first time I went to Renfest with him, dressed as a golden princess. “DO YOU WANNA BUY A PICKLE???”
• The second time we went to Renfest, laughing as my dad got TOTALLY decked out in pirate wear, taking a sip of strawberry daiquiri and ending up all sleepy in the grass (me, not him)
• And the last time we went to Renfest, which was cold and rainy and amazing and awesome.
• Later that night, being angry and hysterical, and knowing that it wasn’t the end and that I could count on you, regardless of circumstance.
• First date. Which is a toss up between ice skating and Baker Street Pub. It always gets me how easily we stepped back into dating, into trust and ease and friendship, because I always thought I’d never be able to do that with you. That was at Baker Street. The ice skating thing was funny, because I started off that date angry at a mutual friend and finished it at like eleven? Twelve? With the longest hug I’d ever had from a guy who I barely knew. And then barely sleeping that night because my friend and I were up all night texting you and analyzing what your texts meant. I’m not proud of this. I also think you witnessed the loudest scream ever, provided by my friend Catherine during I am Legend.
• Glaring at Slusser that particular mass. It was a funny and awkward re-start.
• You remembering that getting into college meant a huge deal to me. And being excited for me.
• First beach trip and you coming with us and our photos of incriminating evidence.
• Halloween and a very sexy gangster suit.
• Levitating this week. It was amazing, apparently.
• Kisses on New Years.
• When we found out about the twins. And a semi-terrifying Olive Garden lunch.
• The first day of New years.
• All the “Maridell weekends”.
• Watching the Guild and laughing hysterically. However, I do not currently, nor will I ever want to date your Avatar, even if they are a star, got it?
• Any time I’ve ever wanted to kill you for calling me Meggy-poo.
• When you gave me Communion while I was in choir and I turned bright red.
• Whenever I call you “Plant” and people look at me like I’m crazy for calling you that.
• All of our moments of intense perversity. Even if you do like to blame them all on me.
• The ongoing quest of “what will I DO with my life?” Which helped jump start the whole talking on facebook thing.
• All of our naps are awesome.
• Going paintballing for your party, finally. Which was awesome and amazing and very very muddy.
• August 4th, and the first time you said “I love you.” And for hanging around for the rest of that day.
• Any time I freak out for a while over some event and then end up having an awesome time, mostly on account of you calming me down and making sure I don’t set the place on fire.
• Any time we’ve ever laid down next to each other and just talked.
• Any time you’ve had to force me to say something, because you could tell just thinking about it was bothering the hell out of me.
• Dancing in my kitchen that first time.
• The vanguard.
• That awkward time I first met you with Sheffield. And that awkward time I talked to you with Slusser at mass.
• Being my best friend during the easy times and the hard times. Even the ones that included my crying on the phone and in person, and when I’ve been angry at you.
• Being the calmer one when we argue and not being afraid of me, or afraid to tell me to shut up.
• For listening to me, even when I’m fucking crazy. Which is almost all the time.
• For being honest with me, even with the hard stuff.
• Optimus Prime and Aragorn. ‘nuff said.
• “The laundry is evil”
• The whole of last week.

• I love you and being together is amazing-the good and the bad, the hard and the easy.

3 comments:

  1. That shall continue for as long as we both shall live. I love you! Happy Anniversary Meggy-poo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...
    I laughed hard at the first time that you met him with Sheff. :)
    I remember that story. Hehee.

    Happy Anniversary, you crazy kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy one year. Paintballing huh? Cool but a little painful...

    ReplyDelete