"You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone."

Monday, September 10, 2012

Uncomfortable Findings

So, I'm reading through a blog called  Love, Joy, Feminism by Libby Anne . I say reading through because when I first found this blog, I read just the top posts. I found them to be fantastic and parts were applicable to my life, but I didn't have the time and patience to read through all of them, because I'm lazy and I only have a certain tolerance for painful (truthful) subject matter.

In any case, I read an article by her talking about how many people say that the relationship between a wife and husband should be modeled after the church and Christ.

The article is here . It is a fantastic article and definitely made me think about some things that I've been told through certain family members, although fortunately never from my husband.

The point of it is that Christ and the Church is NOT an equal relationship. Christ does love the church, yes, but the church is to obey and trust unquestioningly and Christ will never make any mistakes. This is NOT an equal relationship, by any stretch of the imagination.

As Libby says, I've only ever thought about it from the perspective of having a spouse that is Christ-like. Never that the Church portion (ie apparently who I'm supposed to be) is a submissive role. I find that that is being taught to people is terrifying. I also found it terrifying that I never picked up on that.

Anyway, that is what I've been reading this morning. I normally don't promote blogs, because I only just became aware that I could do this, and also because I don't have enough readers for it to be remotely helpful to another person. In any case though, she writes beautifully and a lot of the situations she writes about hurt my heart.

So thank you for the perspective, Libby Anne.



No comments:

Post a Comment